What the hell was I saying?

Saturday, May 2, 2009

My last post was about the larger mission we lucky employed people have these days. We have to work harder for less because if we don't, there will be even more of a chance that our company will fail.

I'm now calling BS on myself.

When the only mission that a company has is to stay afloat, with no other goals for the future, it makes it really hard to justify working all effing weekend on stuff that will probably be put off for another month or so because there is a new shiny idea that will help us survive. At least until the other ten bright and shiny ideas shove that one into the trash heap - and come to find out, they're all trash.

It is really hard to justify working all weekend when more workers than managers were laid off, and the managers are too busy managing their shiny ideas to pitch in and actually do the work that will keep the goal of staying afloat alive.

We have to have a larger goal of how we're going to stay afloat, and working on miscellaneous crap that ends up not being used for that goal just adds to the sense of failure. Personally, I want to work for something - I don't want to just work for a paycheck. I definitely don't want to give up family and relaxation time to work only for a paycheck.

I don't want to work for a company who only wants to survive. I want to work for one that wants to be the best.

by Still Employed at  | 

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

How about something entirely different ... working for one's self? I believed, for many years, that I had to work for a company ... good, bad or ugly. But then, I discovered that I could use my talents for myself. Sometimes, all we need to do is think outside of the lines!

Small Footprints

May 2, 2009 at 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Elizabeth Barrette said...

Good luck finding "one that wants to be the best" in America. Worshipping the almighty dollar is still more popular, despite its contribution to the current disaster.

May 2, 2009 at 5:16 PM  
Anonymous grayspirit said...

I think the bigger the organization, the more inertia there is to being the best. It is safer to preserve what profitability it might have. Just retired from a very big organization and it was all about the politics rather than serving the customers in the best way possible to be profitable.

On the other hand, I think the new and small organizations have the no-holds barred and risk taking attitude that you're talking about.

May 2, 2009 at 9:08 PM  
Anonymous Still Employed said...

Small Footprints - That is such a great idea and I have considered giving that a try, but am unfortunately not in a spot to go out on my own yet. I can't decide if now would be a great time to try it on my own or if it would be the dumbest mistake ever. :)

Elizabeth - ha, you're spot on there. As long as there are dollars for the upper-level executives, who cares what the actual business looks like. It seems that way, anyway.

Grayspirit - Congrats on getting out of the corporate world! I agree that the smaller businesses seem to have more of the spirit of actually doing good work - the larger companies (and I work for one of those) just don't care about anything but the bottom line. Which is why we're all in the situation we're in now.

May 3, 2009 at 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home